Life on the Wall

Can the rough stuff on the wall.
Spray it rough, slingin’ words. Crap tough graffiti.
It’s me sprawled here. My stuff. My hustle.
Sling the crap y’all. This ain’t no conference call.
Life sucks, no shit. And you’re no prize, sweetie.
That paint’s my soul. Hands rough from slingin’ shit.
Are ya listnin’? I can scrap the words and shift to muscle.
Shit happens and guess what? I’m still here takin’ the hit.

mexican-graffiti-1442507

Photo Credit: Audrey Johnson. A San San (means three three in Chinese) written for Day 14, NaPoWriMo.  A San San is a seven line poem, ABCABDCD rhyme scheme with three “terms”  repeated three times. Also written for dVerse Open Link Night!

41 thoughts on “Life on the Wall

1. Oloriel April 14, 2016 / 10:33 am

I think you combined the photo and the poem quite well, and you executed the rhyme scene in a way it was not an overbearing repetition.

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 11:31 am

That’s always the challenge, right? To “hide” the form and have the meaning shine through. This was like writing a poetic sudoku! Glad you liked it.

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:09 pm

I especially liked your second one — especially this phrase “centuries with stars overlain.” It is amazing isn’t it? To look up and think that generations before us and generations after us will be seeing this same stars?

2. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) April 14, 2016 / 4:30 pm

Oh I love what you did with the graffiti… the voice of the tag-master done so well… I remember when we had graffiti it as a prompt on dVerse…

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:10 pm

ooooh….I’ll have to look up the graffiti prompt on dVerse. For some reason, I woke up in the middle of the night and that word popped into my head. Wrote it down….saw the NaPoWriMo prompt and even with that strict of form, the words poured. Do you think I was a rapper in a former life? 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:11 pm

Thanks, Sanaa. Rough language in this one. I don’t ever talk like that much less write like that. Hope I didn’t offend you…….For me these kinds of forms really are sudoku!

3. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack April 14, 2016 / 4:45 pm

Lillian,
    this is positively brilliant – you’ve captured artful rage – as is sometimes the creative passion lurking behind graffiti

Liked by 3 people

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:12 pm

Celebrating my grand daughter’s 8th birthday this afternoon and evening — just getting home to the comments. Always love to see your response — I do value it! Especially when you say “artful” — Many many thanks!

4. Misky April 14, 2016 / 4:57 pm

Well done, Lillian, on a lovely poem and mastering that form.

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:12 pm

Thanks! Really out of my person — as I said to someone else, maybe I was a rapper in a previous age????

5. Grace April 14, 2016 / 7:12 pm

A different voice and cadence from you Lillian ~ An interesting poetry form too ~ Good luck on your writing for April ~

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:14 pm

Thanks, Grace! I actually do write every day — am an early riser and so I love to write and read then — with my morning coffee mug beside me! 🙂 Sometimes I use a prompt — sometimes not. And I do get prompt ideas from reading others’ poems too. Always learning! 🙂

6. nmykel April 14, 2016 / 7:24 pm

Fun to read…Looks like it would be fun to write, Too!

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:14 pm

A challenge it was! Like a poetic sudoku. Glad you liked it! 🙂

7. Victoria C. Slotto April 14, 2016 / 8:51 pm

Oh, girl. How did you enter into the persona so effectively? Clearly, you have the stuff of which lore (read novels) is made. I think that’s the key to writing fiction…being able to become someone you aren’t.

Liked by 2 people

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:21 pm

This was one of those where the pen just ran ahead of my brain. Have no idea where some of those words came from — not my kind of language — verbal or written. But, when it was done, it was like “did I really do that???” Anyway…so gald you liked it and hope I didn’t offend anyone with it. I’m actually kind of proud of it 🙂
      So — now on to reading others’ 🙂 Glass of cold chardonnay in hand 🙂

8. Pleasant Street April 14, 2016 / 8:55 pm

I agree with ZQ, that’s what I was going to write!
    This is exciting and colorful and in. your. face

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:24 pm

So glad you liked it! Not my usual personna — my son-in-law said it sounds like a rap! 🙂

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:25 pm

What a great response to this 🙂 Cool! Smiling I am.

9. kanzensakura April 14, 2016 / 10:16 pm

I think in another life you were an oyster gatherer in NOLA during the day, jazz rapper by night. Pulling up those rich salty bad boys and slurping down fresh and raw and then being full of piss and vinegar at night. I like this!

Liked by 2 people

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 10:27 pm

I am laughing out loud and blushing at the same time! Wow — this one really got some interesting responses! 🙂 So glad you liked this — was afraid at first to post when it was done. So different from anything I’ve ever written – poetic license on my norm???? 🙂

• kanzensakura April 14, 2016 / 10:30 pm

It’s great. We did persona poems a bit ago and I was Dorian Grey…it is fun to pretend. It was interesting to see the different responses to the prompt. I think now, I would be Frankenstein’s Adam.

10. Bryan Ens April 16, 2016 / 10:01 am

You captured the feeling of a street kid/gangster. Love the implied threat of shifting from paint to muscle.

• lillian April 16, 2016 / 10:12 am

Thanks, Bryan. Yeah — somewhere this tough voice came out of me! 🙂 Quite different from today’s post. Smiling I am to see your reply this morning.

11. Bekkie April 16, 2016 / 11:12 am

Stirring words Lillian! What I find amazing is, it’s nothing like your personality which is what good poetry is all about! Thank you again for all your kind words and have a nice weekend!

12. wordpalettes April 16, 2016 / 12:53 pm

“I can scrap the words and shift to muscle” and “It’s me sprawled here” I love this phrase- a street “fighter” through his art/writing who has endured.

• lillian April 16, 2016 / 2:20 pm

So glad you like it. And yes….that was the personna my voice turned into…how, I really do not know. Sometimes strange things happen when one picks up the pen! 🙂

13. MarinaSofia April 19, 2016 / 8:35 am

Rhythm of rapping in there – a great attempt at a ‘street’ voice, but with better vocabulary!

• lillian April 19, 2016 / 8:54 am

Sometimes it’s fun to take on a different personna — like playing dress-up! 🙂

14. Sean Michael April 25, 2016 / 12:34 pm

I used to like to do graffiti. There’s a line from a song called “Out for Fame” by KRS-One that I like a lot: “I’m writing my name in graffiti on the wall…”

• lillian April 25, 2016 / 1:11 pm

Glad you liked this one! Happy I am.