Eulogy

Lost too soon . . .
gathered in pews
eyes tear-glistened,
memories spill from pulpit.

Amazing Grace reverberates
voices swell in unison.
Hear us missing you,
lost too soon.

Written for Tuesday’s Poetics at dVerse, the virtual pub for poets. Amaya prompts us to “Cry Me a River” — write about a song that brings us to tears or makes us melancholy.
Photo from Pixabay.com

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
Khalil Gibran

candle-1342227_1920

13 thoughts on “Eulogy

1. Nancy Jahnke June 6, 2019 / 7:19 am

Very timely as we say goodbye to Carol’s mother on Saturday! Love waking up to your verses with coffee in hand! Miss you… N

Sent from my iPhone

• lillian June 6, 2019 / 8:06 am

Miss you too. I keep thinking about our girls’ afternoon out. Such fun and I just loved being with you three. Such a very special weekend!
      This post is actually about my brother’s funeral….which was 30 years ago. He died at 51. I did the eulogy and asked that the very full congregation belt out this hymn…which Abbey (age 13 at the time) played for us on the organ. It never fails….when I hear this song, I think of my brother.

How I wish I could be there Saturday….I have a card in the mail to her. I have a feeling Carol will be celebrating the joy of her mother, even in the sadness of losing her.
      Love you, Nan.

2. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) June 6, 2019 / 12:22 pm

Such a song is almost universal for mourning… maybe we can share sorrow more easily if it means the same for everyone.

3. rivrvlogr June 6, 2019 / 2:22 pm

Believer or not, there are few who are not moved by Amazing Grace. Following an eulogy, as in your poem, it reminds us of the strength within us to persevere.

4. memadtwo June 6, 2019 / 2:40 pm

A song so deep and so wide it can hold all our sorrow.(K)

5. Frank J. Tassone June 6, 2019 / 7:37 pm

Amazing Grace moistens my eyes, for sure. A lovely tribute, lillian!

6. Gospel Isosceles June 6, 2019 / 8:39 pm

I love this song and it is so fitting for a good-bye when you know the person has followed the Lord. With the version you shared though, in the second word of the third line of each verse there is missing a minor chord that always moves me every time I hear it. Thanks for making it, Lillian. This prompt has been quenching the soul, listening to all of your sad songs.

7. Frank Hubeny June 7, 2019 / 10:52 am

Nice line showing the power of song: “Hear us missing you,”

8. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar June 7, 2019 / 5:00 pm

Love this song. Sang it to all my children when they were babis.

9. Lona Gynt June 15, 2019 / 2:35 pm

Thank you Lillian, it is truly Amazing how Grace bridges the confluence of Grief and Love, and the symmetry that accentuates a sad truth of Lost too soon… Lost too soon, the intervening words attempt to soften and attenuate and bridge that identical premise and conclusion, but the truth remains… Lost Too Soon, but when we have been there tenthousandyearsbrightshiningasthesun… Grace will have its day. I am grateful for your words, they are universal.