Bowery Dame

Hey mistah!
What are ya waitin’ for?
Lookin’ for some kix?
Just a fiver for my special K!
That’s a kisser ‘n lots more.
You a sea capn’?
Crunchin’ time
away from the missus?
C’mon and sail my ship!

They called her a total froot loop,
nuttier than a fruit cake.
She owned her corner,
struttin’ her stuff in the Big Apple.
Jack of all trix in her trade!
Arms wrapped in bangles
lucky charms danglin’,
jinglin’ through all seasons.
Frosted flakes her winter glitter,
traded for sweat beads in summer.
Garters held by safety pins,
no chex and balances in her life,
just one day to the next to the next.
Known on her unseemly block
as the My-Fair-Lady dame,
clients banged her for a few bucks.
Yelled out their cheerios
as they straightened their ties,
hopped a taxi,
and went home to their wives.

city-569093_1920

I’m hosting Tuesday Poetics at dVerse today, the virtual pub for poets, and we’re brand name noodling! I’ve given folks three categories: candy bars, cereals, and perfumes. I’ve listed at least sixteen products in each category. Folks are to choose ONE category, and write a poem that includes at least TWO of the product names within that category. . . using them as just words in the poem.

I’VE CHOSEN THE CEREAL LIST FOR THIS POST: Kix, Special K, Cap’n Crunch, Total, Froot Loops, Apple Jacks, Trix, Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Chex, Life, Cheerios, Fruity Pebbles, Alpha-Bits, Cocoa Puffs, Count Chocula, Harvest Crunch, and Puffed Wheat.  I used the first 12 in this poem.

Also did a poem using the Candy Bar list! Take a peak!

28 thoughts on “Bowery Dame

1. Adda May 15, 2018 / 7:34 pm

😊 Wonderful! I read this one to TJ… we both chuckled. Excellent use of the word list. 🙂

• lillian May 15, 2018 / 9:18 pm

Thanks, Adda. I enjoyed coming up with the prompt — and even more so, writing for the prompt! 🙂 A little humor goes a long way these days.

• lillian May 15, 2018 / 9:19 pm

Oh my….. many many thanks for your wonderful comment! I do love to have fun with words 🙂

2. Raivenne May 15, 2018 / 11:11 pm

I’m grinning because this is so well done, but the poignancy of those last few lines, bite.

• lillian May 16, 2018 / 9:34 am

Yep. Lots of humor here but in the end…..she’s the woman turning tricks to eke her way in life and the men toss her away after using her….and sneak back to their genteel lives. You caught that feeling well.

3. kim881 May 16, 2018 / 3:22 am

You really strutted your stuff with the cereal list, Lill! I love the rapping rhythm and the lines:
    ‘Arms wrapped in bangles
    lucky charms danglin’,
    jinglin’ through all seasons.
    Frosted flakes her winter glitter,
    traded for sweat beads in summer’.

• lillian May 16, 2018 / 9:36 am

Thanks, Kim. I really had fun with this. When I wrote the prompt a week or so ago, I really had no idea how I’d write poetry to it but thought it might be something different and fun. Turned out I really enjoyed the writing and have really loved what folks have done with it. 🙂

• lillian May 16, 2018 / 9:36 am

Hah! Thanks, Bjorn. That kind of a comment from a serial 🙂 poetry writer, I’ll take it! 🙂

4. Janice May 16, 2018 / 10:35 am

This is amazing Lillian how you folded all those festive cereal names into a humourous portrait.

• lillian May 16, 2018 / 12:09 pm

A fun one to do…..somehow though, I couldn’t fit in Count Chocula!

• lillian May 16, 2018 / 12:09 pm

Glad you enjoyed……..well, since it went to the X-rated adult version, guess I should have thrown in some oatmeal somewhere….or shredded wheat? 🙂