Wannabe

I am not Sarah Elizabeth!
Call me Izzie, please.
I hate these tedious tatting lessons.
My dresses always have dark dots in the lace
and my finger tips feel like pin cushions.
Thimbles are the silliest things
impossible to maneuver.
I’d rather be a Samuel.
Sammy in knickers and suspenders
rolling a hoop and playing catch.
And my chest.
I’m soon to be found out.
And mother shall issue those dreaded words,
“It’s corset time.”
I’d rather hang from the rafters,
ride bareback and swig spirits
than be straight laced
wearing one of those things.
I hate being a girl!

mary-shipman1

Word Count: 100   Written for Rochelle Wisoff- Fields’  Friday Fictioneers — prompt photo appears on Wednesday and posts can be early. Apologies to the purists as I “arranged” my lines in more poetic form today. It is after all, NaPoWriMo (national poetry writing month). Photo Credit: Mary Shipman

32 thoughts on “Wannabe

1. rochellewisoff April 27, 2016 / 8:24 am

Dear Lillian,

A corset would be horrid prospect. Oh the price we pay for beauty. Love the voice of your verse. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• lillian April 27, 2016 / 8:38 am

Thanks, Rochelle. Yes — talk about breathless!!! 🙂 😦

2. Mike April 27, 2016 / 10:24 am

You reminded me of George from Enid Blyton’s, Famous Five books, very well done. I liked this. Mike

• lillian April 27, 2016 / 10:35 am

Thank you, Mike. Not familiar with this George — will have to look him up. But I am partial to the name (my spouse of 46 years!).

• mike April 27, 2016 / 1:24 pm

Enid Blyton’s George [Georgina] is a girl in a children’s book from the 1950’s.

3. Sandra April 27, 2016 / 10:29 am

You caught her frustration beautifully, Lillian. Well done.

• lillian April 27, 2016 / 10:36 am

….and I don’t even like to have tight things around my waist! 🙂

4. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) April 27, 2016 / 1:04 pm

I think a corset future would be enough reason to hate to be a girl. Not to mention pins and needles, lace and dresses… Girls should be doing what they want. (and yes I do remember George… even here in Sweden we read Enid Blyton)

• lillian April 27, 2016 / 1:06 pm

Thanks, Bjorn. I just looked up George and Enid Blyton’s books — UK author. Shall now be getting some of these for my grand children who are avid readers! 🙂

5. wmqcolby April 27, 2016 / 4:46 pm

A good character and setting, Lillian. This got me reading! 🙂

6. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack April 27, 2016 / 5:50 pm

Oh, Lillian
    this is quintessential poetry as it represents feminine antiquated underpinnings – how amusing your lines trying to spare the young lass from a corset that will take her breath away – sadly – for all the wrong reasons;)
    wonderful

• lillian April 27, 2016 / 7:52 pm

Thank you, AnnMarie! 🙂 I cannot imagine wearing one of those contraptions!!! Bad enough in my teenager years when I was really skinny (really skinny) and because of peer pressure pulled on a girdle every day! How stupid was that??? Of course I think those torture chambers still exist only they’re called Spanks!
      Glad you liked this one!

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack April 28, 2016 / 6:09 am

you wore a girdle, I wore an eye patch, geez, we would have made some elementary tag team;)
        was a great piece of poetry, Lillian
        happy thursday

7. Woman_on_Pause April 28, 2016 / 5:19 pm

I barely got past the first line. My name is Sarah Elizabeth! It is a common pairing, but I was just taken back. Ok, going back to read again. 😀

• lillian April 28, 2016 / 5:45 pm

Oh my! Perhaps your spirit ws channeled into my mind for this piece?

• lillian April 28, 2016 / 5:45 pm

Okay — so once you got past the name you were okay? Glad you enjoyed!

8. Jan Brown April 29, 2016 / 2:11 am

Loved this. I wonder how many girls of bygone eras have felt trapped by customs and mores. Perfectly written!

• lillian April 29, 2016 / 8:13 am

Thank you, Jan. So nice to see you this morning over my morning cup of coffee! Hope you’ll stop by again — I do love chatting with folks in the AM — especially as I’m reading and writing my poetry.

9. gahlearner April 29, 2016 / 5:37 pm

Oh the poor girl, and even today they are pressed into a mold to make them all the same. I hope she keeps up her rebellious spirit.

• lillian May 1, 2016 / 7:44 am

She is a bit of a rebel 🙂 So would I be if I had to wear a corset every day! 🙂 Thanks for reading and the reply — truly appreciated.

10. Margaret May 1, 2016 / 8:07 pm

Gender is a complicated matter. Your story captures one person’s frustration really well, and I like that you set it at a pivotal moment in her life as she approaches adulthood.

• lillian May 2, 2016 / 9:30 am

Thank you, Margaret. So glad you liked this one.

11. ansumani May 2, 2016 / 9:53 am

Why would they even invent corsets! Good poem!

I remember feeling similar thoughts growing up.