What’s in Your Book Spines?

i
The Happiness Project
Swing Swagger Drape
A Hundred Daffodils

ii
You’re Wearing That?
The Audacity of Hope

iii
Plain and Simple:
If I Had My Life To Live Over
I Would Pick More Daisies
Off Camera

IMG_4268

NaPoWriMo Day 10: My suggested prompt was used for everyone today! Stack ’em up and write  Book Spine Poetry, hopefully from books on your book shelves.
My three poems include titles from: Gretchen Rubins’s The Happiness Project, Jane Slicer-Smith’s knitting pattern book Swing Swagger Drape, Jane Kenyon’s White Daffodils; You’re Wearing That? by Deborah Tannen and Barack Obama’s The Audacity of Hope; and the third one includes Sue Bender’s Plain and Simple, If I Had My Life to Live Over I Would Pick More Daisies edited by Sandra Haldeman Martz, and Ted Koppel’s Off Camera.  Happy Sunday!

11 thoughts on “What’s in Your Book Spines?

1. Liz Boquet April 10, 2016 / 2:08 pm

Thanks for the fun and inspiring prompt. I’ve had a blast playing with my books today.

• lillian April 10, 2016 / 4:04 pm

Always happy to please! 🙂 Glad you had fun with it! Always think making poetry should be wordsmithing with joy and chuckles rather than a difficult task. Makes you reevaluate what’s on those shelves too, right? First time I did it, I also did a bit of spring cleaning 🙂

2. Dreamer of Dreams April 10, 2016 / 4:16 pm

How wonderful to read this! Nice to know some of the titles on your book-shelves! Well-woven lines!

3. Sharon April 14, 2016 / 2:27 am

I really like the 2nd and 3rd poem! I never thought of book spines as poetic and then there it is! This prompt was a challenge for me, but it was interesting. It’s always fun to look at the world differently to see what you’ll see.

• lillian April 14, 2016 / 7:21 am

oooh I so agree! I think that’s one thing that’s happened to me since I started writing poetry in Feb 2015 and this blog that March. I suddenly look at things a bit differently — or my mind leaps from the view to what it means — or I make up words like bubblcious! 🙂 That prompt also gave us a peek into people’ lives as we got to see what’s on their bookshelves 🙂 Time to get my morning cup —

4. Manja Mexi Movie April 15, 2016 / 2:17 pm

This is such a cool concept that I will do one right here from my last acquisitions that are waiting together on the shelf for me to take them:

The omnivore’s dilemma:
    A natural history of the senses.

I am an emotional creature!
    La bella lingua?
    Just kids?

In defence of food –
    The elegance of the hedgehog.

/abused writers: Michael Pollan 2x, Dianne Hales, Patti Smith, Eve Ensler, Diane Ackerman, Muriel Barbery. Connect the dots. I don’t usually read predominantly women. I guess it comes with years./

• lillian April 15, 2016 / 2:33 pm

Ah — so glad you liked the idea of book spine poetry! 🙂