Kilauea

Thick viscous red-orange glows
slowly oozes over blackened fissures,
moonlight its only witness.

Pele’s tresses lengthen in waves
undulate, hiss, bubble heat
flow surely, but slowly, angry not.

Ancestral guardian hesitant to erupt
she lives, breathes forward warning
all shall be buried in quiet wakefulness.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Photo: from our lava walk on the Big Island in Hawaii. We walked on Kilauea — it is still continually and slowly flowing, adding land mass. Pele is the Fire Goddess and considered creater of the Hawaiian Islands. Her flows create her hair, smooth waves of hardened lava. Late to the party — I am postint to Open Link Night at dVerse Poet’s Pub.

12 thoughts on “Kilauea

• lillian March 20, 2016 / 7:40 am

Thanks Bjorn! Old mythology is fascinating….especially when you can visit some of its origins.

• lillian March 20, 2016 / 7:41 am

Slow to respond here — but thank you! I do appreciate your kind words this AM over my first cup of coffee. Smiling I am.

1. Walt Wojtanik March 19, 2016 / 11:30 am

The imagery here is astounding. Vibrant and alive. We should all strive for this.

• lillian March 20, 2016 / 7:43 am

ah….when you’ve hiked this place, even after many years, the imagery remains etched in your mind….and that hissing bubbling sound….and the heat beneath your feet. What I don’t mention is the knowledge, while hiking, that a fall on the hardened lava can be treacherous — it is so so sharp.

2. Grace March 19, 2016 / 12:30 pm

This is a lovely homage to the ancestral guardian and to Pele’s tresses ~ Indeed in a thousand years, we will all be buried with nature ~ Thanks for linking in Lillian ~

Have a lovely weekend ~

• lillian March 20, 2016 / 7:44 am

Thanks, Grace. Just getting to my replies and reading this Sunday morn. A bit try here on the Bermuda harbor at St. George’s…..but the sun always comes. Only two days out of almost sixty now, have we had it rain for the whole day. They say you can experience four seasons in a day here — minus the snow and cold temps of course! 🙂

3. katiemiafrederick March 31, 2016 / 12:17 am

way
    oF
    erupTing death..
    aliVe iN stonE
    cOld.. FiRe..:)

• lillian March 31, 2016 / 7:36 am

Thanks, Katie. Nice to see you this morning. We are now back in Boston with our strong internet connection. I’ll be back to posting regularly now. Nice to see you this morning over my first cup of coffee!

• katiemiafrederick March 31, 2016 / 8:42 am

Ah.. Yes my friend.. The beauty of technology and ha! i couldn’t open up my own blog on mobile until i purchased an iPhone 6s.. Technology has finally caught up to me.. Hehe..;)