A Promise

Skeleton trees rattle outside my window
the moon, their spotlight
as branches click like castanets.

No mouth, no heart, no head
just limbs flailing in the winter wind, so alive
though sap was spilled in days gone by.

They tap upon the glass as if to remind me,
seasons do change. Just keep in step
and move with us, partners in the dance.

The gift of greening shall evolve
and music shift to spring-time waltz,
nature’s present in days to come.

I smile, looking through the pane
today’s impossible will bloom tomorrow.
And I shall wire rose buds together,
a welcome wreath upon my door.

stockvault-bare-trees--night103029

Motivated by the Sunday Whirl, Wordle 233. Create a poem using these words/forms of these words: head, mouth, present, wire, change, gift, possible, spill, skeleton, moon, keep, step. Each Sunday a different Wordle is given! Very fun to take up this challenge. Photo credit: Heather Elaine Kitchen

16 thoughts on “A Promise

1. 1sojournal January 11, 2016 / 6:01 pm

Really like that final verse. I don’t think we got above 0 today. I love the way snow changes the look of the world around me, softens it and makes it a bit more mysterious. Thanks much for your visit and I’ll try to send you a copy of the zentangle.

Elizabeth

• lillian January 12, 2016 / 7:16 am

So glad you like the poem. Yes — snow is truly truly beautiful….until you get 108 inches of it within one month which is what happened in Boston last year! Luckily we were in Bermuda — but did come home to the huge snow piles. AND many many thanks for the email with the zentangle. It is truly beautiful!

• lillian January 12, 2016 / 7:16 am

Catching up this morning over my morning cup. So glad you like it! 🙂 Have a wonderful Tuesday!

2. Melinda Kucsera January 11, 2016 / 11:10 pm

This is beautiful! I just wrote my response for this challenge before reading yours. I love the direction you took it; it’s so hopeful, looking forward as it does to spring’s coming and foretelling your activities 🙂

• lillian January 12, 2016 / 7:18 am

Good morning Melinda! So nice to see you over my first cup of coffee. This is the first time I’ve done a Wordle Challenge — very fun! Gets the imagination working. Yes….always when winter approaches the thought that spring will follow is indeed food for the soul as the saying goes.

• Melinda Kucsera January 12, 2016 / 10:03 am

Yes it is; may spring come soon! Aren’t wordles fun? I must admit that I am rather addicted to them. You’re very welcome for the comment 🙂

• lillian January 12, 2016 / 7:20 am

ah yes…..the promise of spring is always what gets us through the deepest of winter. 🙂
      First time doing a Wordle…..gets the imagination working!

• Misky January 12, 2016 / 8:04 am

Nice bit of wordling, Lillian.

3. writersdream9 January 12, 2016 / 11:16 am

Very profound seems to be the comment that fits the poems responding to this wordle. Yours is very profound, Lillian.

• lillian January 12, 2016 / 11:27 am

oh my…..thank you so very much for this wonderful reply. Truly appreciated!