Chardonnay Me

sipping chardonnay
cold, crisp, oak tinged mysteries
celebrating love

once more round the sun
older, wizened, holding hands
thankful every day

gathering blessings
from days past and those to come
sun still shines at dawn

Image from Pixabay.com

Written for dVerse, the virtual pub for poets, where today Punam asks us to consider wine or whiskey or any beverage, and somehow incorporate that beverage into our poem. Go here for a better explanation of the prompt.

To my readers: Since October 13th, I’ve been going through the “process” of cataract surgery. In the scheme of things, it is a piece of cake. However, I’ve found it difficult to read and work on the computer – hence my participation in dVerse has been limited and I’ve not responded to other posts as I usually do, or to comments on the poems I’ve sporadically posted. I am happy to say, I am coming out on the other side of this process – and the results of the surgery are, to me, miraculous. I see colors in their brightest hues. I see print on my computer that is clear and straight. I look out the window and the world is no longer blurry. I am without glasses for the first time since I was twelve years old and am now half-way through my septuagenarian years. I only wear inexpensive “cheaters”, otherwise known as readers when I want to read or write. All of this to say, age brings cataracts to almost everyone. It is one malady that can truly be reversed. One type of anti-aging procedure that really works. I don’t mind silver hair (a nicer way of saying gray) or wrinkles or crepey skin or the inability to do some of the physical things I used to do in my forties or sixties. But I did mind seeing a blurry world. And that is over! All this to say, I’m back to my writing and back to dVerse!

24 thoughts on “Chardonnay Me

1. Laura Bloomsbury November 22, 2022 / 3:32 pm

this really is the glass that heartens – lovely sentiments Lillian – and so glad to know your world is clear again for you

• lillian November 22, 2022 / 3:41 pm

Thank you, Laura! Yes, we will be toasting my eyes tonight! 🙂

2. sanaarizvi November 22, 2022 / 3:37 pm

This is exquisitely drawn, Lillian! 😍 So glad to hear that the surgery went smoothly and that the world is brighter in turn, and a most lovely pick – chardonnay- for your poem! Cheers, my friend! ❤❤

3. paeansunplugged November 22, 2022 / 3:46 pm

Welcome back, Lillian! Sight is such a blessing and we only realise it when it gets blurry. Here’s to bright colours and more reading and writing! Cheers!

• lillian November 22, 2022 / 3:56 pm

Exactly! Amen to that! We are toasting my eyesight at dinner tonight! 🙂 This is the first time I’m able to sit at the computer without squinting – seeing the print so clearly and ENJOYING reading the poems not just because the words at dVerse are always wonderful, but also because just the act of reading again is fun! 🙂

4. Brendan November 22, 2022 / 4:26 pm

Vintage Lillian! Glad you are on the better side of cataract surgery.

• lillian November 23, 2022 / 4:17 pm

Glad you enjoyed the write. And yes, what an amazing thing – to see clearly. With cataracts, they often come on slowly (mind did) and so many times we’re not even aware we’re not seeing the vibrancy of colors. And then we even get used to the blurriness. It is such a remarkable change!

5. Yvonne Osborne November 22, 2022 / 6:05 pm

Nice tribute to chardonnay, my favorite summertime wine. My older sisters have done the cataract thing so I assume it may await me. Glad you’re seeing clear!

• lillian November 23, 2022 / 4:19 pm

Yep — I am definitely a chardonnay gal….any time of the year! 🙂 I think the amazing thing for me was that my cataracts developed so slowly – I wasn’t aware I was seeing things through a haze. It’s like someone turned a spotlight on the world and suddenly colors are vibrant, print is darker and more clear. Truly turns back the clock on one aspect of aging! 🙂

6. msjadeli November 22, 2022 / 9:16 pm

Lillian, I feel the enjoyment you get from your wine in the poem. Very happy you’re satisfied with your rejuvenated sight!

• lillian November 23, 2022 / 4:19 pm

Glad you enjoyed the poem and oh yes! I am truly rejuvenated now! It’s a bright colorful world we live in!

7. kim881 November 23, 2022 / 2:52 am

Firstly, welcome to the cataract survivors club, Lill, and I’m so glad that you have made a bright, clear recovery. I’m a little envious that you only have to wear reading glasses; due to macular degeneration, even after cataract surgery, I still need varifocals all the time. Like you, I’ve been wearing glasses all my life (since I was nine) and I think I would have missed them anyway.
    What a lovely picture of life in our later years you have painted in your poem, those ‘cold, crisp, oak tinged mysteries’ to celebrate love. Long may it last!

• lillian November 23, 2022 / 4:23 pm

It’s been a bit humorous….after the first eye was done, we had that left lens knocked out of my glasses and for that month of recuperation, the world was really catterwonky! The eyes are adjusted for distance in the surgery….so I had good vision out of that eye and the right eye (not operated on at the time) had the most significant cataract. Plus, I couldn’t use readers because I still needed my old glasses lens in the undone eye! Having the second surgery — well, I walked out of there with no glasses! Amazing. Funny thing is, still, after a full week of having no glasses (2nd surgery was Nov 16), I’m still doing that gesture where you try to push up your glasses as they’re sliding down your nose….and I’m not wearing any glasses! 🙂

8. rothpoetry November 23, 2022 / 4:34 pm

Cataract surgery is such a blessing. I remember my grandmother wearing those thick lens “Coke Bottle” glasses. She never could see well in her old age. I had both eyes done and partial corneal transplants in both eyes. All successful. I am about 20/20 at this point, and very thankful. White is now white instead of a creamy color. Glad you are healing well.

9. Gillena Cox November 23, 2022 / 10:17 pm

No matter how old we get, still there is sonething to look forward in the gift of a new day.

Thanks for dropping by to read mine

Much💛love

10. merrildsmith November 25, 2022 / 12:56 pm

Lovely descriptions of the wine, and congratulations on the success of your surgery!
    My husband had cataract surgery a few year ago (young for cataracts), and he pleased by the result almost immediately.