Imaginary Friend

My Namrah, fantastical beast,
is always waiting near.
When fear accompanies darkness,
I know he will be here.

He flies me to the shining stars,
appears within my dreams.
Lifts me up on widespread wings
and soars through sequined streams.

pegasus-695830_1280

Frank is our guest host at dVerse, the virtual pub for poets, and asks us to write a poem in common meter. This is one of the most difficult types of poetry for me to master. Pub opens at 3 PM Boston time.

14 thoughts on “Imaginary Friend

• lillian February 3, 2017 / 6:37 am

Thanks, Bjorn. Really struggled with this one but fun to work it through.

1. frankhubeny February 2, 2017 / 3:20 pm

Very nice common meter. I could hear it clearly. I did not know what a Namrah was and so I had to look it up and it looks like one of those would make a wonderful imaginary, if not also a real, friend.

• lillian February 3, 2017 / 6:39 am

๐Ÿ™‚ Well, for me, Namrah is simply the strange name I gave to this mythical beast who is totally imaginary on my part. A long time imaginary friend who lets me soar when things are sad…mainly in that space just before we are in sound sleep, where we have somewhat control of our dreaming ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you enjoyed. And thanks for hosting!

2. Grace February 2, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Good to have the comfort and support of the imaginary friend in times of darkness. Love this part best:

Lifts me up on widespread wings
    and soars through sequined streams.

• lillian February 3, 2017 / 6:40 am

Sequined dreams on a starry night ๐Ÿ™‚ Namrah is happy to take you there, if even but for a moment!

3. erbiage February 2, 2017 / 4:57 pm

Very nice all around Lillian, and “Sequined streams” for the win.

• lillian February 3, 2017 / 6:41 am

I’m looking out from our deck this early morn at Bermuda’s aquamarine waters, glistening in the sun….they must indeed look like sequined dreams from above ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Bryan Ens February 3, 2017 / 7:33 am

For a form that you struggle with, you did very well! The common meter was clear throughout.

Liked by 2 people

• lillian February 3, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Trust me. I struggled: wrote, red aloud, marked accents etc. It was work after the original creative thought. My personal opinion? I don’t think creative writing should be hard — on the other hand, I enjoy learning! ๐Ÿ˜Š

• lillian February 3, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Namrah is the best — helps me soar when spirits are down.

• lillian February 6, 2017 / 8:41 am