Night

Tis the waking in the dark. Hand to chest feels ribcage move. Head cocked, hears slight puff from lips. Tis a daily night time wakening. Assured, rest returns.

nature electrifies the sky
streaks of night light reassure
her creatures rest calmly in the rain

thunderbolt-1158506

A haibun written as a Quotidian. Toni is tending bar at dVerse Poet’s Pub and defines Quotidian as an ordinary happening. Of course, the ordinary happenstance differs from person to person — so drop on by dVerse and read the various takes on this prompt! Or join in, and write one yourself.

23 thoughts on “Night

1. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack June 6, 2016 / 5:59 pm

Lillian,
    catching up am I – so very far behind
    learning all these fundamentally fabulous forms of lyrical language
    your piece captures both the awe and fear storms inspire
    this piece was created with wickedly bright lightning of a most entertaining variety

2. Grace June 6, 2016 / 8:11 pm

I just saw our sky with lightning, so this came alive with me ~ But this brings rain so I am assured as well ~

• lillian June 6, 2016 / 11:18 pm

Such serendipity that you have the lightning and rain as you’re reading this!

3. kanzensakura June 6, 2016 / 8:29 pm

This is awe inspiring. Three sentences and a haiku. Simply breathtaking. I have done the same myself – waking and feeling my husband as he breathes and then going back to sleep. What a lovely write.

4. Charley June 6, 2016 / 8:46 pm

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
    “Pooh!” he whispered.
    “Yes, Piglet?”
    “Nothing,” said Piglet, taking Pooh’s paw. “I just wanted to be sure of you.”

Your poem reminded me of this passage… and the many times my love or I have done the same thing in the middle of the night. Beautiful haiku!

5. Patti June 6, 2016 / 9:41 pm

I love the haiku. Finding reassurance in the storm is a lovely thought.

• lillian June 6, 2016 / 11:20 pm

Thank you, Patti. So glad you enjoyed.

• lillian June 6, 2016 / 11:21 pm

🙂 Tis the waking in the night………

6. whimsygizmo June 6, 2016 / 10:45 pm

MAN, this is just some lovely wording, here:
    “Tis the waking in the dark.”

• lillian June 6, 2016 / 11:22 pm

So glad you enjoyed. Sometimes the shortest route provides the best insight….Glad I posted this additional one. And so glad you enjoyed.

• lillian June 7, 2016 / 7:12 am

A light sleep — and then reassured, a deep sleep. And then there’s the times I wake up with a thought in my head and have to get up to write it down, bleary eyed, or it will escape never to be known.

7. sarahsouthwest June 8, 2016 / 5:56 am

We all recognise this one, (I hope!). But I love how you take the danger of the storm and find reassurance in it. I’ll be thinking about that.

• lillian June 8, 2016 / 7:19 am

So nice to see you over my morning cup of coffee! 🙂 Glad you enjoyed.