April Cruelty

Crocus seduce, daffodils beam,
we walk lighter, brighter.
Young women shed coats,
bellies concealed in down
bloom pregnant joy.

Temptress Spring,
hips swaying in soft breezes,
sashays to bed budding green.
Wakes at dawn,
cold white kisses shimmer,
laughs flurry at our foolish trust.

crocus-1345997 IMG_4265

Photo Credits: That’s me, this morning, April 4. On the porch in my bathrobe appalled at this cruel April snow! Crocus ย photo by Swirls 71.
Written as a quadrille (44 words) for dVerse using the word “shimmer” and for NaPoWriMo Day 4‘s prompt toย write about the cruelest month.

38 thoughts on “April Cruelty

1. Misky April 4, 2016 / 2:34 pm

Oh my goodness, snow! I hope it melts soon, Lillian!

• lillian April 4, 2016 / 2:47 pm

Well…..it’s still coming down! Argh…..and my boots are down the basement in our storage closet! Optimism is born in April — and cruelly played with by mother nature! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Supposed to be in the 20s tomorrow! Can I just fly back to Bermuda for another week? ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

2. Victoria C. Slotto April 4, 2016 / 4:22 pm

That is cruel, indeed–and why we come to the desert for winter. But, I will not be surprised to see more when we return home. Love the line “cold white kisses shimmer”

• lillian April 4, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Glad you liked it Victoria. Mercifully dark outside now so I can not see all that snow! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Victoria C. Slotto April 4, 2016 / 8:23 pm

But there is something so beautiful about new-fallen snow. Which is why we stay in Reno till Jan. And we had our white Christmas beginning Christmas eve!

• lillian April 4, 2016 / 8:30 pm

I also love new fallen snow and always hope against weather patterns to have a white Christmas. It’s just that sloppy wet snow on april 4 is a bit much to face when daffodils and tulips are within one’s gaze! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Bodhirose April 4, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Oh gosh, that’s almost too much to bear…by that look on your face! When it snowed in May when I lived near Boston it just about killed me. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love your poem on the fickleness of Mother Nature and your use of shimmer.

4. Grace April 4, 2016 / 4:49 pm

We had snow last night, but its melting now ~ I am sorry about the snow in your garden after spending sunny days and nights in Bermuda ~ Temptress spring indeed (& love your photo of dismay) ๐Ÿ™‚

• lillian April 4, 2016 / 8:01 pm

That is the good thing about snow in Apri. It doesn’t stay long ๐Ÿ™‚

5. whimsygizmo April 4, 2016 / 5:09 pm

This is simply fantastic.
    “hips swaying in soft breezes” and “laughs flurry.”
    LOVE.

• lillian April 4, 2016 / 8:02 pm

Happy I am. You’ve made me smile — even with all that white stuff floating around out there!

• lillian April 4, 2016 / 8:03 pm

Fickle, cruel Spring — and all those poor robins! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

6. Pleasant Street April 4, 2016 / 5:39 pm

I had to laugh. Saturday it snowed here. Sunday we went out and it was sunny and 70F. Today, again, snow and cold

7. Linda Kruschke April 4, 2016 / 8:08 pm

Nice word-picture of fickle spring. So glad it isn’t bringing snow in my neck of the woods. Just the usual rain and of late lots of sunshine.

• lillian April 4, 2016 / 8:19 pm

April showers bring May flowers….snow showers too I suppose.

8. kanzensakura April 4, 2016 / 8:57 pm

After days of warmth and sun, it has turned cold. Some snow flurries expected Friday and/or Saturday. Just in time for fruit trees to be in full bloom and the long standing 10K run on Monument Ave. Well, I guess some of those runners are just gonna have to wear tights under their tutus. Note: many people dress in costumes. One group from the local ballet company wear pink tutus, males and females. And spring is a temptress. One reason I will not set out my veggie plants until first of May…a heartless temptress indeed. I love the pic of your dismay!

• lillian April 5, 2016 / 9:41 am

So nice to see you this morning with my coffee cup in hand! Bright sunny day in Boston — and brrrrr cold! So cold the snow is still on the ground. Can’t last long though, right? Hope your fruit trees weather fickle April well………..

• kanzensakura April 5, 2016 / 2:11 pm

A friend and I are anxious about our trees. Her cherries started bearing last year and my plums began to be bountiful enough for the birds and me. I’m already dreaming of plum crumble and keeping my fingers crossed the blooms don’t get blighted by cold. The pears have enough blooms I always give tons of the fruit away so if some of the blooms don’t survive, there will still be pears. I have several bottles tied around blooms in the French fashion to try to duplicate their brandy. We’ll see!

• lillian April 5, 2016 / 7:38 pm

mmmm plum crumble! How I wish the Poet’s Pub was in a real place so you could share that delectable! ๐Ÿ™‚ I have a yummy recipe for pear pie from our Iowa days. Still make it!

9. Candy April 4, 2016 / 10:19 pm

love the hips swaying – we had snow here too ;-(

• lillian April 5, 2016 / 9:42 am

Sure is fickle here in New England. Glad you liked this one, Bjorn. Have a great Tuesday!

10. kim881 April 5, 2016 / 2:55 am

Beautiful line: ‘cold white kisses shimmer’ ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Arcadia Maria April 5, 2016 / 6:08 pm

“cold white kisses shimmer” – loved this line. I hope you get no more snow. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. ava April 5, 2016 / 6:14 pm

Ooh, what a great closing line.

I also really like this:
    “bellies concealed in down