Before the Dawn

Much has been written about the dawn of a new day. For me, it has always been the moments before that, which stir my soul. When dark shadow clouds and navy blue-black sky meld into india-ink black sea. It is all a scrim, a gauzed blanket that lies above and beyond with no horizon line.

The shoreline blurs, smudges, like a charcoal master piece. There are no browns, only shades of ebony and beginning blue. It is a delicious hush. Before the sun begins its slow ascent from underneath somewhere, slowly tinting edges into floating worlds of pink and violet, revealing solid lines and building shapes. Before that color of pales, there is only the unseen, blurring barely to the discernable. In that moment of suspended darkness, there is the presence of hope.

Clouds before the dawn
shadows undulate with hope
darkness woos my dreams

Written for Dverse Poets’ Pub Haibun Monday — this week Grace asked us to springboard from one of three given quotations.  I used the following: “Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.” – Mary Oliver  A Haibun is prose, followed by haiku and usually underscores nature and some higher truth.

47 thoughts on “Before the Dawn

1. Grace February 15, 2016 / 5:09 pm

Dawn is my favorite time of the day ~ The changing lush colors, the moment before the sun rises, we are all hopeful for the new day ~ Love the charcoal masterpiece and that moment of suspended darkness ~ Stunning pictures too ~

A lovely haibun Lillian ~ Thanks for joining us ~

• lillian February 15, 2016 / 5:12 pm

So glad you liked it, Grace. I love love love this very quiet time, just before the day arrives.

2. Victoria C. Slotto February 15, 2016 / 5:20 pm

We both went to the same “place” in this–but then, we are both enjoying nice weather. Your writing and photos are both stunning, Lillian.

• lillian February 15, 2016 / 6:52 pm

Thank you so much. Will be reading tomorrow AM.

3. Melinda Kucsera February 15, 2016 / 7:54 pm

beautiful pictures and poem, I love the description; the words you chose conjure such wonderful images of a magical sunrise.

4. kanzensakura February 15, 2016 / 8:18 pm

a delicious hush…love the assonance of this and the thought. I too love that last bit of darkness before the sun begins. The photographs are so beautiful. Reading your words and looking at these photos is….delicious!

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 6:31 am

So glad to read your response. I’m a bit late in my reading but will meander this morning 😊☕️

5. Mary February 15, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Beautiful. In times right before the dawn there IS that hope. I wonder if we would be able to FEEL hope if we did not go through the darkness. I think the darkness in nature and in our lives is there for a reason. I enjoyed thinking about the thoughts in your haibun!

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 6:32 am

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply. Yes – I agree. I think the absence helps us appreciate the presence.

6. Em February 15, 2016 / 8:47 pm

I love this: “When dark shadow clouds and navy blue-black sky meld into india-ink black sea. It is all a scrim, a gauzed blanket”

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 6:34 am

I like the word “scrim” and what it can do magically to a stage — and like using it in different ways in my poems. Glad you liked it too! 😊

7. Bodhirose February 15, 2016 / 9:43 pm

I was going to quote the lines that EM did above…just exquisite imagery especially with the description of the sky and sea melding with their darkened colors. Always enjoy your photos, Lillian.

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 6:35 am

Thank you. Today there are high winds and grey skies — will make me appreciate tomorrow’s beautiful dawn even more!

• lillian February 16, 2016 / 6:17 am

Ah painting with words….I do enjoy it. Sometimes it’s hard to make the language to convey the beauty…or the squalor. Forces the eyes to look into something…not just at. Right? 😊 to

8. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) February 16, 2016 / 12:47 am

Oh that dawn… And how much we need that darkness to really feel that hush of light.. Your images are so beautiful and there is such hope in that light,

• lillian February 16, 2016 / 6:18 am

Thank you, Bjorn. Sipping my first cup and shall get to reading in a bit.

9. davebarclay1954 February 16, 2016 / 1:27 am

Oh what I would give to see the dawn slowly creeping over the horizon, love the pics and what an amazing view you have.

10. MarinaSofia February 16, 2016 / 4:58 am

This can be read on so many levels – the literal one, with those gorgeous pictures, is lush and vivid. And then there is the siren call of darkness as the enchantress…

• lillian February 16, 2016 / 6:20 am

Love your comment here, Marina…smiling I am!

11. writersdream9 February 16, 2016 / 7:49 am

Dawn is hope-filled and I love how you’ve written about it! Beautiful photos too!

12. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) February 16, 2016 / 4:48 pm

I love your use of colours!

• lillian February 16, 2016 / 6:25 pm

Many thanks for the read and kind words!

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 6:36 am

Thank you, Trish. Smiling I am over my first cup. ☕️😊

13. kaykuala (@hankkaykuala) February 17, 2016 / 10:18 am

In that moment of suspended darkness,
    there is the presence of hope.

There are so many hints in life that can save oneself from unnecessary tears if only one can detect them early. Unfortunately it is not easy! Wise words Lilian!

Hank

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Thank you, Hank. For your read and words here. Truly appreciated!

14. thefeatheredsleep February 17, 2016 / 11:14 am

It is rare to have such complimentary photographs but these were every bit in tangent with your evocative writing.

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 12:35 pm

Thank you so much. Truly I do love these moments in time…..dawns here in Bermuda where aquamarine waters are inky black…..and in Provincetown also where the rising sun casts pink shadows upon the water.

• thefeatheredsleep February 18, 2016 / 4:18 pm

Your very reply is poetry♡♡♡

• lillian February 17, 2016 / 12:35 pm

Thank you — for the read and very kind words!

15. katiemiafrederick February 17, 2016 / 6:17 pm