Sea Glass: Formed by Haiku and Tanka

I
Swallowed by the sea
broken in anger, sharp words
shards of glass now smooth.

II
Shades of green, amber,
some clear. Smooth, mysterious
bits of tumbled glass.
Whose hands held you to their lips?
Touched where? A long time ago.

III
So reluctantly
she gave them up to the sands
sea memories in glass.

IMG_3446

IMG_3478

Photos from our walk yesterday to the area outside of St. George’s, Bermuda called Tobacco Bay. Beautiful day to collect sea glass! Β Post linked to dVerse Poet’s Pub for Open Link Night. A great virtual gathering place for poets.

50 thoughts on “Sea Glass: Formed by Haiku and Tanka

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 8:43 am

Me too!! So fun to comb the beach, head down, eyes searching for that glint πŸ™‚ So glad you liked the poems. Another beautiful day here in Bermuda — 70 degrees and sunny sky. Shall be out and about walking again!

1. rivrvlogr February 4, 2016 / 1:16 pm

I have a bell jar filled with beach glass from Lake Ontario. Walking the shore and finding it is one of the things I miss most about Western New York.

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 3:18 pm

It’s like being on a treasure hunt! πŸ™‚

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 5:07 pm

Ah…. The scenery here is so very stunning. Clouds rolling in tonight – shall have some nurturing rains tomorrow.

2. whimsygizmo February 4, 2016 / 3:42 pm

Love love LOVE this, Lillian. That sea glass photo is particularly gorgeous. At Lake Tahoe, we collect it, also, and we still call it sea glass. πŸ˜‰ I bring it all home, fill jars, and sometimes make art. It reminds me that life’s waves can bring a smoothness like nothing else.

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 5:01 pm

The miracles of the ocean – smoothes rough edges, even in human spirits! 😊

3. Misky February 4, 2016 / 4:49 pm

My granddaughter says that sea glass are mermaid tears. Everything is mermaids, according to Emma. I love you collection of sunny poems, Lillian.

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 4:52 pm

Beautiful, Emma. I think you are right!

4. Bryan Ens February 4, 2016 / 4:57 pm

love the contrast of “broken in anger” to “now smooth” – it takes an ocean of love and forgiveness to take those sharp words and make something beautiful come of them.

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 5:00 pm

So very true. Thank you for the kind response. Glad you liked the post 😊

5. Mary February 4, 2016 / 5:16 pm

This poem made me wonder just where all of that glass originated. What stories could that sea glass could tell. I liked the reflectiveness of your poem (and the glass – smiles).

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 6:32 pm

Thank you so much, Mary. So glad you enjoyed. I find sea glass absolutely magical!

6. ShirleyB February 4, 2016 / 5:47 pm

Beautiful images to match beautiful poems.

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 6:56 am

Smiling I am over my first cup of morning coffee. Thank you so much, Shirley!

7. Grace February 4, 2016 / 6:02 pm

I love that sea memories in a glass and the sea swallowing the sharp words ~ Lovely pictures as well Lillian ~

• lillian February 4, 2016 / 6:34 pm

Happy I am. So very glad you enjoyed these. I do think sea glass is quite magical!

8. tamekamullins February 4, 2016 / 6:40 pm

This is so beautiful! The pictures brought it home. Just lovely! I also think of romance when I read this.

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 6:57 am

ooooh….so happy to motivate thoughts of romance! Smiling I am. So nice to chat with you over my first cup of coffee this morning! Thank you Tameka!

• tamekamullins February 5, 2016 / 7:03 am

I’m a romantic so I’m always looking for it! Enjoy your morning Joe. I’ll be taking tea shortly. Have a fabulous day!

9. Sanaa Rizvi February 4, 2016 / 6:48 pm

This is beautifully captivating Lillian πŸ™‚ and I just love sea glass.

Lots of love,
    Sanaa

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 6:58 am

Happy I am….so nice to receive your beautiful words this morning. Yes — to me, sea glass is magical!

10. Victoria C. Slotto February 4, 2016 / 8:07 pm

I love these, Lillian. Sea glass lends itself to incredible metaphor and you took advantage of that so beautifully. What a beautiful corner of the world. I just returned from visiting my 95 year old mom in Huntington Beach, CA but spent all my time with her. She has dementia but seemed unusually clear this visit so I didn’t want to take time from her to visit the ocean. She was, this visit, a translucent piece of sea glass.

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:00 am

Thank you for your very kind words here — and your personal words as well. Am so very happy for you that you had a visit with your mom….so many times in this cruel disease, the body is present but there is no visit with the person. And lovely description of the visit….she was a translucent piece of sea glass. You must have a very very special relationship with your mom. πŸ™‚

• Victoria C. Slotto February 5, 2016 / 3:02 pm

Yes…it has been special. Over the last few years, sadly, her dementia has progressed to the point she was opaque. Having worked with dementia most of my nursing career, when someone perks up such as she did, it’s often/sometimes an indicator that they are getting ready to move on. Thanks for your response, Lillian.

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:17 pm

Oh… “like” isn’t good here. Heart goes out to you… Thinking of you and your family…

11. thotpurge February 4, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Whose hands held you to their lips?
    Touched where? A long time ago…… Loved that.

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:01 am

So glad! πŸ™‚ I have the plate of sea glass on our coffee table and I feel like it’s looking at mysteries…wondering what the pieces come from…what were they a part of?

12. jaybluepoems February 4, 2016 / 10:19 pm

so beautiful… whose hands held you to their lips?… such life and memory imprinted, so nicely wondered, and gently culled form the little shards. Very beautiful indeed!

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:03 am

The sea glass sits on our coffee table — collected from a beautiful Bermuda beach — and I wonder how far it traveled to become so smooth and end up here? Each piece, a mystery unto intself. Thank you for the read and very kind words! Much appreciated!

13. Pleasant Street February 4, 2016 / 10:46 pm

When I find sea glass, I feel like when I was a kid, connecting with it and finding it magical

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:05 am

Exactly! There are two beaches in Bermuda noted for their sea glass. And I wonder….what makes the sea glass wash up just on these two and not the oh-so-many-other beautiful beaches here? And because this is Bermuda’s “winter” — hardly any tourists and no cruise ships so we literally are almost always alone walking the beaches. So much sea glass at this one beach — it was a beautiful stretch of sand, littered with shards of memories! πŸ™‚

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:05 am

Yes indeed! So glad you liked it!

14. daisy chain February 4, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Beautiful. I especially like this line: “Whose hands held you to their lips?” I’d like to know that myself.

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:07 am

Thank you! Yes — each piece, a mystery unto itself. I just even love the tactile feel of sea glass! To think that once, if you’d picked up this piece, it would have cut your finger….and now, you roll it over and over in the plam of your hand feeling how smooth it is. Magical!

15. MarinaSofia February 5, 2016 / 5:29 am

What a nice way to think about sea glass – and I don’t think I’ve ever found that many and different-coloured pieces…

• lillian February 5, 2016 / 7:09 am

We are in Bermuda, renting an apartment for all of February and March — their “winter.” Temps are mid-60s to 72 and absolutely stunning scenery. So — no cruise ships, very very few tourists. There are 2 beaches (of the many many many here) that are known for their sea glass. And I’m sure, during tourist season they are scoured with eager hands. We walk alone on the beaches here, marvelling at the beauty. And at this one beach, there was sea glass everywhere! Magical!

16. katiemiafrederick February 7, 2016 / 1:19 am

sTIll
    MovinG
    now by
    paradises
    oF earth..:)

17. tsdwords February 15, 2016 / 8:28 am

Lillian, I love the way you think. Who’s lips touched this?.. Also find sea glass to be beautiful and mystical, you captured all that wonderfully. You picked a perfect poetic form, shards of words…

• lillian February 15, 2016 / 5:07 pm

“…shards of words…” Love your reply! Thanks for the read and very generous words. Happy I am.