Bermuda Morn

Dark bird shapes in nearby palmetto
chatter loudly as clouds move by,
long fronds ruffle-whisper in ocean breeze.

Across the bay, one by one, lights disappear
grey sky blanket daubed with white blotches
lifts slowly to reveal brilliant blue.

Birds, now distinctly yellow, sing to me
kis-ka-dee, kis-ka-dee
and a Bermuda morning dawns.

IMG_0212 - Version 2

IMG_3396

We are in St. George’s, Bermuda till March 29. Arrived yesterday. Photo is view from our deck at dusk last evening. Poem was written very early this morning, sitting on this same deck, listening and watching dawn arrive. Pen in hand….sadly, not the camera. Imagine this same picture, at dawn, with this palmetto home to several Kiskadees!

13 thoughts on “Bermuda Morn

1. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack January 31, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Woah, jealous am I, my friend and world traveler:)
    Your more than perfect imagery places my mind in warm sand and soft light – I thank you for that, Lillian.
    Enjoy your trip and the exotic drinks, both warm and chilled, sure to be had…
    I finally got my folks unpacked from their boxes, now for a few days of shopping with my mom for all the house essentials:)

• lillian February 1, 2016 / 5:44 am

Good morning! It’s 6:30 AM here — I’m an early riser as always — will make my coffee and sit on deck to see the sunrise at 7:13. So glad to see you here this AM and especially happy to hear you are out from “box land!”
      Bermuda is not the Caribbean — so temps are in the mid-60s and several days this week will be 70. Because of the humidity, even though it’s 60 or 61 in the evening — it feels a bit chilly and I’m in my vest plus sweatshirt. But SOOO nice in comparison to Boston’s winter — although they’re getting unseasonably warm temps right now.
      Our apartment is great — and we just come to live — so George cooks lots. He made stead two nights before we left….as beef is$$$ here so we go without and have lots and lots of fresh fish! 🙂
      Enough for now….Have fun shopping with your mom. She is so lucky to have you and so nice for you to have her too. Used to love shopping for my mom — and invariably, unless we were just in a grocery store, we’d find some kind of hats to try on! 🙂 Memories….:)

• lillian February 1, 2016 / 5:45 am

Yes indeed! 🙂 Although not the Caribbean, we are enjoying the mid-60s to 70 degree weather — and smiling in our sweaters! 🙂

2. Misky February 1, 2016 / 4:57 am

I’ve never been there, so I’ll live the experience through you.

• lillian February 1, 2016 / 5:45 am

Happy to bring you along! 🙂 Tis a wonderful muse, this place!

3. Ana Linden February 1, 2016 / 6:44 am

That’s a beautiful view, Lillian. I am so envious of you 🙂 I can’t wait for dreary winter days to be replaced by warm, sunny ones. I’ve spent about ten days in Spain in the middle of January and I can see how escaping freezing cold can feel so inspiring, that you don’t want to miss a moment of it 🙂 Enjoy Bermuda, have a wonderful time!

• lillian February 1, 2016 / 7:02 am

Thank you so much, Ana. It is truly beautiful here! (My friend is spending Jan, Feb and March in Spain and loving it!) I awoke this morning for sunrise — turning the waters a glowing soft pink. So beautiful! 🙂 And Bermuda is a wonderful muse!

• Ana Linden February 1, 2016 / 7:19 am

That sounds divine 🙂 . I’m looking forward to reading the poems it inspires and to envying the great photos I know you’ll take 😉 .
        As for Spain… I absolutely loved it too. I even managed to catch a few sunrises as well, even if I’m not the early morning person that you are. I’m going back for another visit this month and hopefully it will be just as nice.

4. Melinda Kucsera February 1, 2016 / 10:42 am

wow I am envious of your destination! Enjoy Bermuda. I have never been but my sister once told me it’s a lovely island. Your poem certainly provided poetic truth of that 🙂

• lillian February 1, 2016 / 11:04 am

So glad you liked the poem — it is indeed a wonderful place. Very friendly and beautiful aquamarine water!

• Melinda Kucsera February 1, 2016 / 11:08 am

Enjoy it please! Take lots of pics for us to envy and write lovely poetic snapshots of your time there. 🙂