Chateau de Sable/Castle in the Sand

“Ou est le bibliotheque?” She grinned, listened like she understood, then ducked into the first café she saw. “Un croissant. Donnez moi le beurre.” She’d had so many croissants, butter, le boeuf and les oeufs in the past two days, she’d probably gained five pounds. But she loved using her old high school French.

She ate quickly then followed the map to finally meet The Earl of the Castle de Sable! They’d met on the internet. His English was remarkably good. So she’d flown to Paris!

“Um, really? This is a . . . house! And your name is Earl????”

chateau-de-sable-ceayr

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields Friday Fictioneers. Each Wednesday she challenges folks to write a 100 word story based on the photo she provides. This one took me back to my high school French (50+ years ago) and the only words (in addition to the first verse of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!) that I remember 🙂  Photo Credit: ceayr

18 thoughts on “Chateau de Sable/Castle in the Sand

• lillian January 28, 2016 / 12:21 pm

Just couldn’t go to the dark side this time. Decided to have some fun instead. Poor ole Earl. Do you suppose she looked like what he was expecting? 😊

• joseph elon lillie January 28, 2016 / 12:31 pm

Oh I am very glad you didn’t go to the dark side. The story itself was no let down. I think Earl really was. It made me laugh.

1. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) January 28, 2016 / 11:51 am

Ha.. I can really feel the romance crackling… I wonder if Earl might have an Ernest brother (who is a baron), really I love the pun against a faux French gold-digger.

Liked by 2 people

2. gahlearner January 28, 2016 / 12:07 pm

Hehe, well, technically he didn’t lie. She seems to enjoy her holiday anyway. Fun story.

• lillian January 28, 2016 / 12:23 pm

Yep – decided to go light this time 😊

3. Sandra January 28, 2016 / 12:27 pm

I’m sure she’ll enjoy her visit, no matter what the title of her host. Or am I?

4. rochellewisoff January 28, 2016 / 5:36 pm

Dear Lillian,

Meeting people on the internet is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get. Amusing and well constructed piece.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• lillian January 28, 2016 / 10:42 pm

Thanks so much, Rochelle. Love the comparison to a box of chocolates! 🙂

5. Dale January 29, 2016 / 2:46 pm

As someone who has found herself on dating sights… this is a little too close to home!
    By the way, beurre (just inverse the u and the e!)

• lillian January 31, 2016 / 4:39 pm

alas…..my high school french class is wayyyyyy toooooo many years ago! Shall correct now…thanks for the heads up! 🙂

• Dale January 31, 2016 / 4:48 pm

Just a typo! Happens to the best of us!

6. Melanie February 1, 2016 / 11:58 am

Oh no! Ha! Poor girl. Just goes to show you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. But good for her for taking the risk. Not many would.

• lillian February 1, 2016 / 2:46 pm

Nice to get your reply, Melanie 🙂 Glad you enjoyed. And yes, the character is a rather brave, although naive, soul!

7. Martin Flux February 2, 2016 / 1:35 am

I think her own Castle de Sable just fell apart. Very enjoyable story, Lillian!

• lillian February 2, 2016 / 6:17 am

So glad you liked it, Martin. Sometimes we all build castles in the sand, right?