Empty Nest

Coffee cup in hand, she focused on the shapes coming into focus through the morning mist. James said they’d be a family science project. Bat houses. She’d agreed, only if they were a good distance from the house…

A good distance from the house…in-state college would have been nice. She smiled softly, thinking about the “Roots and Wings” adage on the plaque above her bureau. He sure spread his wings…

The telephone startled her. Coffee sloshed as she grabbed the phone. “Hello?”

“Oh, sorry mom. Did I wake you? It’s noon here. Just wanted to touch base. I miss you.”

kitchen-window

Word Count: 100.
Photo credit: Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.
Flash Fiction written for Rochelle Wisoff-Fields Friday Fictioneers.
Learn more about bat houses!

14 thoughts on “Empty Nest

1. BarbaraK aka fiddlbarb December 16, 2015 / 5:10 pm

Precious words.

• BarbaraK aka fiddlbarb December 19, 2015 / 9:12 am

My pleasure. Good morning from Southern California and wishing you a wonderful weekend.

• lillian December 17, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Always happy to hear from you, Melinda. Reading today over my afternoon tea! Yes – my daughter’s school erected bat houses some years ago. Good to keep the night time insects away….and for Halloween too! 😳

• Melinda Kucsera December 17, 2015 / 2:28 pm

When I have a house of my own, I’m putting in a bat house or two! I don’t think the coop board would go for it at my present location. Besides, we have a lot of stray cats. I don’t think any bats would want to stick around with that many tommies and tabbies!

2. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) December 17, 2015 / 12:05 pm

C – First of all I liked the way it was written. Too few writers dare to use elllipsises… But that’s how we think and talk. The story took a few reads until I got it. The building of bat houses is a little hard getting acquainted with. We have bats in our attic, and it’s wonderful to hear them flying by on Autumn nights.

• lillian December 17, 2015 / 1:05 pm

As I mentioned to Melinda, I became acquainted with bat houses a few years ago. When I zoomed in on this picture, the shapes on poles looked exactly like bat houses! The mom in the story is jumping from thought to thought and thus the ellipses….glad you liked it!

• lillian December 19, 2015 / 5:38 am

Exactly! Glad you liked it.