The March

He watched in amazement from the fifth floor window. He told Melinda it would never work. Her eyes damp, remembering.

But they were coming in droves. From the subway stop. Riding bicycles. Pushed in strollers. In school uniforms and ragged jeans. All colors. All sizes. Children of hope, many with handmade signs.

Hundreds bowed their heads in prayer, and then began to walk from the old Transportation Building to City Hall. Melinda held the banner high. No More Hurting People. Peace Now. Her locket caught the sun and gleamed at him. Their son’s picture within the small gold heart.

roger-bultot-2

98 words. Written for Rochelle’s Friday Fictioneers.  Photo by Roger Bultot.

24 thoughts on “The March

• lillian December 3, 2015 / 8:03 am

So glad you like it. Smiling I am.

If you enlarge the picture a lot, and count the floors up on the glass building, you’ll see the outline of a man standing at the window, kind of to the right of what I call the old transportation building. More like a shadow of a person in the window – hence the story.

• Bastet December 4, 2015 / 10:43 am

Splendid that you should have used that image .. I saw him but ignored what might have been a great lead to a story .. I enjoyed yours very much … a fine story. Bastet

1. Melinda Kucsera December 3, 2015 / 9:34 am

It’s a great story, not just because it stars a ‘Melinda’. Though we ‘Melindas’ do have to stick together since there aren’t many of us. I’ve met only one other Melinda in real life in the 35 years I have walked this earth. 🙂

• Melinda Kucsera December 3, 2015 / 9:42 am

I do like it. Though for a long time I didn’t like my name. Every teacher misread it and called me “Melanie” or “Melissa” at every single roll call. I receive countless emails addressed to ‘Melanie’ and ‘Melissa’ and I delete them without reading them. Then one day I asked my mom how I got my name. Turns out that ‘Melinda’ is the nickname for ‘Carmella’ and my grandmother was named Carmella. My mom loved the name so…after that explanation I was glad I wasn’t a ‘Melissa’ or a ‘Melanie’ because my name had meaning. 🙂

2. gahlearner December 3, 2015 / 10:28 am

This is great, such a hopeful, positive story, and at the same time bitter-sweet. I have a Linda, and the man in the window, too. Heh. C- I like the progression from hopelessness (it will never work) to the positive ending.

3. Dale December 3, 2015 / 1:55 pm

After yet another gun-shooting incident, this is most welcome!
    So weird, I got a message your site could not be trusted! I made Firefox accept you but still…

• lillian December 3, 2015 / 2:55 pm

Glad you liked it, Dale. And thanks for the heads up. I was in contact with Rochelle too and now it’s fixed. Error on my part in how I did the link.

• lillian December 4, 2015 / 9:32 am

Hello everyone…just worked with WP technicians (they are great) and the problem is fixed. Actually a simple User problem (as in me!), Should be typing http:// and I was typing https://
        Live and learn! 🙂 Thanks to Dale and Rochelle for their alerts!

4. rochellewisoff December 4, 2015 / 9:30 am

Dear Lillian,

It’s happening to damn often. Too many parents are grieving the loss of children. No parent should outlive their children and certainly not like that.
    Well done.

BTW. I managed to get hear via your comment on my story. 😉 Hope the problems are resolved soon.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• lillian December 4, 2015 / 9:33 am

WP technicians were great. My error — I was typing https:// and I should have been typing http://
      Can you check the link again, I posted it again, just to insure it’s working now? MANY thanks for the extra effort to read my story….I truly appreciate it!

5. ansumani December 4, 2015 / 9:48 am

I echo Rochelle’s sentiment on the death of children. The story is well crafted showing the surprise he (the father?) may have felt on the outpouring of support. Nicely done.

• lillian December 4, 2015 / 1:42 pm

Agree totally with Rochelle’s sentiment also. Yes….I imagined the figure in the window, watching, as the father. But he could be anyone who knows Melinda.
      Thank you for your kind words. So glad you like it. Smiling I am.

6. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) December 4, 2015 / 3:21 pm

I think there will come a day when we change. There has been occasions when the world was close I think. Love the positive tone in this, and I would like to see a day like this. I understand your comment about giving positive stories is a little rare in this group.

• lillian December 5, 2015 / 4:16 pm

So glad you like it Bjorn! Positive is always good 🙂

7. plaridel December 5, 2015 / 1:50 pm

i like the hopeful tone of the story. nice take on the prompt.

• lillian December 5, 2015 / 4:16 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. It’s always fun to see the different perspectives on the same scene, right?

• lillian December 7, 2015 / 5:58 am

Most definitely, in my mind, there is hope – in the gathering of so many for the cause of peace. The words of the banner are the words of the young boy killed in the Boston Marathon. It became a mantra in the days and weeks after the unspeakable acts that killed innocent watchers of an American tradition, and maimed so many as well. The hope is in the remembering and the coming together.