Some We Leave Behind

Stubborn firs stand warm and smug
beside the giving trees,
shadows now of skeletons
against clear blue skies.

Ground glitters red and gold,
cracks beneath the rakers’ feet
as he piles the oldest, most brittle
atop the crimson bright.

Tis time to take our leave
and slowly say goodbye
to those once colorful days
of leaping, laughing youth.

Photos from walks and visits this past week.

10 thoughts on “Some We Leave Behind

• lillian November 6, 2015 / 8:39 pm

Many thanks, Kathy. This fall season offers such beauty for the eyes, and great fun for grandkids!

• Kathy November 6, 2015 / 8:41 pm

I love the fall. Weather gets cooler, leaves turn into beautiful colors. Even when they carpet our lawn, it’s pretty.

1. Melinda Kucsera November 6, 2015 / 8:31 pm

Agreed, beautiful and evocative. It makes me want to run out and jump into the first pile of leaves I see. I love the image in the first stanza, especially the part about “skeletons against the clear blue sky” now that’s spine tingling and also rather sad.

• lillian November 6, 2015 / 8:42 pm

Hi Melinda: Thank you so much for your words here….I appreciate your reading and and talking about the specifics. Yes….for me the bare trees are indeed skeletons…and when the winds come, they shake their bony arms and fingers…spine tingling indeed.
      In terms of your wanting to jump into a pile of leaves…..I can direct you to one that is all ready for you! 🙂

• Melinda Kucsera November 6, 2015 / 8:56 pm

You’re welcome. Point the way! I added ‘jump into a leaf pile’ to my weekend to do list. 🙂 There’s lots of piles where I live.

2. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack November 8, 2015 / 1:21 pm

So many paths my imagination has just traveled, with the help of your introspective prose this bright Sunday morning.
    Beginnings, endings and vibrant life that grows in between.
    Lovely words, Lillian.

• lillian November 8, 2015 / 1:28 pm

Beautiful day here too. So glad you liked this one.
      Trees outside our window are almost naked 😟

• lillian November 9, 2015 / 12:37 pm

Always glad to have you along, Lesley. Have a wonderful Monday!