Disappearing Hood

chairs-2-1489343

Wrap around porch with hanging swing
iced tea chats and potted plants
playing dolls with Junie Z
on a summer night lit by fireflies.

Sliding glass door shut ramrod tight
concrete slab with charcoal grill
removed from prying eyes.

Two steps to double locked doors
reined in yard with triple garage
and wooden horse blinder fence.

The word neighbor? Gone.
It hopped a moving van,
took a right on the expressway
and drove right out of our lexicon.

8 thoughts on “Disappearing Hood

• lillian October 26, 2015 / 11:11 am

Ah….my morning coffee always tastes so much better when I’m chatting with friends in this virtual space. So glad you liked this one. Did you know there are sociological studies about porches….how they’ve evolved and moved in location and disappeared in many places? We lived in rural Iowa for a time and how I loved our old wrap around porch! Coffee seemed to taste better there πŸ™‚

• Misky October 26, 2015 / 11:31 am

No, I didn’t know that. Interesting.

• lillian October 26, 2015 / 11:12 am

So nice to see you this morning! Glad you liked it….it was a fun one to write! πŸ™‚

1. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack October 26, 2015 / 10:18 am

Morning Lillian.
    As I read your words this am, they immediately conjured up my old front stoop. On those 4 little brick steps, friends and neighbors often communed. We kids were outside, moms chatted on front lawns and when the dads came home, we kiddies were still outside running around until we all got called in for supper.
    Neighbors checked up on one another and on the rare occasion when an old neighbor moved out and a new family moved in, they were welcomed with conversation and baked goods.
    Thank you for your words this morning.
    I say let’s bring back the neighborhood πŸ™‚

• lillian October 26, 2015 / 11:15 am

As that old song goes, “Those Were the Days, My Friend.”

Did your neighborhood have a Welcome Wagon? I think it was a national organization? A group whose sole task was to welcome folks to a city or town or neighborhood. They went to visit newcomers and brought a bag of “goodies” — free products from local stores, coupons, and yes, the obligatory pie πŸ™‚

Have a wonderful Monday, my friend!

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack October 26, 2015 / 11:45 pm

Our “Welcome Wagon,” was not official. All I can tell you, is it was red and had four wheels (one was usually wobbly) πŸ˜‰
        Loved this piece, Lillian.