…and the Seasons Tilt

Aspens quake in fear
Sycamores pretending happiness
turn smile-happy yellow,
while the Mighty Oak
blushes crimson red.

They know Winter lurks
behind crisp cool autumn air,
her cold heart waits impatiently
to unleash harsh winds,
strip them of their dignity.

They will stand naked for all to see
rattle and shiver with no recourse
while we don puffy coats
bright red stocking caps
and hand knit yellow scarves.

We add layers of color
while they stand
dark limbs exposed,
the transition time
when the seasons tilt.

Photo: Β October 14, 2015 in Boston Public Garden.

14 thoughts on “…and the Seasons Tilt

• lillian October 18, 2015 / 12:56 am

Many thanks, Jacqueline…..words and season — an artist’s palette for the imagination!

1. Melinda Kucsera October 18, 2015 / 1:03 am

I love the comparison and how the trees go from leafed in color to bare while the people in the poem take on the color the trees lost. Very cool inversion and symmetry there!

Liked by 2 people

• lillian October 18, 2015 / 1:12 am

Ah, Melinda…..glad you got the inversion! πŸ™‚ It’s like their winter becomes our autumn. So glad you liked it!

• Melinda Kucsera October 18, 2015 / 1:16 am

I did. It’s beautifully done. You’re poetry is a joy to read. Though I’m sad that class ended, I am glad my blog feed isn’t overrun anymore. I was missing posts!

• lillian October 18, 2015 / 1:26 am

You are so very kind….many many thanks for these words. And yes, I agree totally. Loved the class but it was time to be done.

2. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack October 18, 2015 / 11:35 am

Powerful words in gorgeous color, my friend. “…strip them of their dignity,” I stopped and reread this. So many deeper meanings here. We don’t always appreciate the comfort of our human trappings.
    Enjoy your Sunday.

• lillian October 18, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Exactly. Layers of meaning…
      Cold crisp Sunday here! Hope you get to relax a bit today 😊

3. Sunshine Jansen October 18, 2015 / 12:36 pm

Splendid! Makes me want to knit something for my soon-to-be naked sugar maple… πŸ™‚