Elegy for Childhood

Do not grasp or fear the sifting sand
savor instead, sweet memories.

Tippee cups and imagined friends
popsicle sticky smiles.

Unabashed big bigger Balooka bubbles
popped on freckled nose.

High pitched yells with a Mary Jane stomp
knock knock jokes giggled silly.

Proscenium now disappeared, curtains askew
props and costumes gone.

Mourn not the little ones of yesteryear,
loose your hand and revel now.

Their roots are strong, let go the sieve
tis time to change the scene

beach

WP Writing 201 prompts: the word “flavor”, enumeratio (listing), and the elegy form. Elegy: usually in couplets, first line longer; can be a longing, loss, mourning, and/or a celebration of life.

18 thoughts on “Elegy for Childhood

• lillian October 14, 2015 / 4:19 am

Really did not want another “dark side” poem….so ended up on childhood. Glad you liked it.

• lillian October 14, 2015 / 11:42 am

Thanks so much! Not my best, but that’s ok. A bit sentimental….but it’s sometimes how we feel. Husband said, “this one’s a chick poem!” πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š

1. Kathy October 14, 2015 / 11:48 am

Again, another touching poem. Thanks for sharing.

• lillian October 14, 2015 / 12:59 pm

So glad you liked it. For me….I wasn’t as happy with it as others…so just posted another.

2. Misky October 14, 2015 / 12:02 pm

My grandchildren are growing into amazing little people. It’s like revealing layers of magic. Love this poem, and it’s not overly sentimental at all. Lovely.

• lillian October 14, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Oh….thank you thank you for your kind words. Layers of magic indeed! πŸ™‚

• lillian October 14, 2015 / 6:36 pm

Well…slippery fingers…that should say happy to see you here!

3. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack October 15, 2015 / 10:05 am

Morning Lillian.
    You know my parents visited yesterday. Now that my mother-in-law is living with us, my dad had a new audience for his wonderful childhood stories (though my mom has them all memorized and no longer enjoys them quite as much;)). And as he told his stories, Karole began telling some of hers. My dad had a positive tone – and accepted those moments in time are now passed and his current life is now. My mother-in-law has difficulty accepting her current life and spends much of her present wishing she was in her past. I hope I go the direction of both of my parents – positive yet creaky πŸ™‚
    Gorgeous words here. Much to ponder and wish for.

• lillian October 15, 2015 / 10:48 am

Yes….I’ve been working not to ruminate this week. Ruminate means dwelling in the past in a not-so-good-for-you way rather than simply treasuring the positive aspects of the past. In other words, even if there is a negative in the past, think of its positive results. Sounds like your parents do this well. Ah… My goal is to get older each day gracefully.

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack October 15, 2015 / 6:27 pm

I think you’re achieving your goal in youthful spades, shining diamonds, lucky clubs and big red hearts πŸ˜‰