Home Then or Again?

IMG_2075

Scuffed Red Wing leather boots tread across forest floor. Trekking poles swing naturally at my side, two more points of contact to the earth. Closest thing to being four limbed.

Sun filters through leaves, beams on stands of gooseberry red, chokecherry orange and fiddlehead green. I walk through scrubby tree roots, climb over rocks to cross a stream, carried by wind and sun and bird song in the air.

Last week’s hike swirls fading as I maneuver city streets. Blue suit jostled, surrounded by tall grey, red brick towers that block the sun, save corners where green lights mean go. High heels comply, stumble from curb to pavement, and my feet ache again.

IMG_7216

Written from a September Challenge prompt: juxtapose opposites in a more subtle wording of contrast.  A prose poem.

10 thoughts on “Home Then or Again?

1. BarbaraK aka fiddlbarb September 20, 2015 / 4:10 am

Powerful juxtaposition indeed. As though there in both places as I read.

• lillian September 20, 2015 / 10:50 am

Thank you! So glad. I was wondering if I’d achieved the objective here….thanks for your affirmation. Sipping my first cup of coffee this AM, after another beautiful sunrise in Provincetown. Happy I am.

• BarbaraK aka fiddlbarb September 20, 2015 / 1:59 pm

Sunday Morning coffeetime cheers! Wishing you a beautiful day.

2. hlhivy September 20, 2015 / 8:51 pm

Lovely – I like how you described colors with plant names. It gives the impression of texture as well as color.

• lillian September 20, 2015 / 8:54 pm

Many thanks for your observation – a very nice compliment! Happy I am 🙂

3. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack September 21, 2015 / 9:40 am

Juxtaposing is a wonderful “technique” in art – on the picture plane it places unlike images together. Dali was a master of this with liquid Surrealism. You, my friend are becoming quite the master of juxtaposing words.

• lillian September 21, 2015 / 10:39 am

What a wonderful compliment to read over my first morning cup, with blinds pulled back, full wall of ceiling to floor glass showing this wonderful shore, door ajar to hear the waves.
      We went to a Dali Museum years ago in Florida – quite amazing. “Liquid surrealism” … Great two words.
      Will be reading your flash fiction piece over my second cup this AM, Ms AM! 🙂

• lillian September 21, 2015 / 6:11 pm

Ah hah! Assignment accomplished 🙂 I really struggled with this one. Many thanks for your confirmation. 🙂