Riding the Waves

Gin and tonic on the rocks
atop a Cape Cod hill
overlooking white sail dots
on forever ocean scape.

I drift backward on the waves
to days on my old Boot Hill,
surrounded by empty fields
new subdivision coming soon.

Crouched low behind tall weeds
brambles with stick-on burrs
scratched knobby eleven year old knees,
we stalked bad guys never seen.

Rode horses round that dirt mound
inspired by westerns on console tvs.
Buster browns galloped and dusty laces flew,
head strong imaginations with no reins.

Parched by the high noon sun
horses unhitched and left to roam,
we walked home, hand in hand
to lemonade in aluminum glasses.

And we wondered how old
the Lone Ranger really was.

grass-1-1391232

Photo by Elvis Santana.

12 thoughts on “Riding the Waves

1. Holly Wren September 18, 2015 / 3:11 am

Love this:
    Crouched low behind tall weeds
    brambles with stick-on burrs
    scratched knobby eleven year old knees,

• lillian September 18, 2015 / 4:10 am

I feel like I hit the jackpot seeing your like – know how busy you are…and really happy to see your comment. This really was one of my favorite make believes when I was young – and I really called it Boot Hill 🙂

2. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack September 18, 2015 / 9:54 am

Morning Lillian –
    I love drifting back especially to where live the horses and the Lone Ranger – yes, Virginia – he does exist 🙂
    This is just lovely. You are finding many an eloquent muse in the infinite grains (and I don’t mean gin;)) my friend.
    Just beautiful.

• lillian September 18, 2015 / 10:43 am

After watching the sun rise with the waves lapping a gentle greeting to the new day, I sit with coffee and read your kind words.
      I really did name a scruffy hill Boot Hill, and rode many a fine imaginary steed around that field — the stuff of a childhood gone by. Do parents even let kids play outside alone in nearby fields any more? Ours was an age of innocence….

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack September 18, 2015 / 9:55 pm

Kids today are hermetically sealed. When they pass through the double-bolted front door with security cameras, they are deposited and picked up, then they come home and play video games – different world. A world where many of these kiddies won’t have many nature stories…oh, they will have Disney Park stories out the wazoo though 😉

• lillian September 19, 2015 / 11:35 am

Seems wrong to “Like” this since it seems so wrong….and very sad. There are still kids who grow up in rural areas….and there’s still camping (although now we even have clamping). Somehow we’ve slipped into living in a world of fear….and those who let their kids play outside alone are now placed closer to the “irresponsible” side of the continuum. Ah….I sound like the “remember when” generation! Oh yeah…..I am! 🙂 Here’s to a little girl somewhere, riding a make-believe horse in her front yard today!

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack September 20, 2015 / 1:41 pm

Ah, Lillian – last night I got to listen to children playing outside and it was glorious. A beautiful crisp night-my son was out with some friends playing manhunt with flashlights and my daughter and here friends were painting pumpkins 🙂
        I second your “here,” to outdoor childhood memories 🙂

• lillian September 20, 2015 / 3:53 am

Thanks Johanna. My favorite was the Lone Ranger — but my girl friend liked Roy Rogers best! 😐