Provincetown

Icon of Provincetown
Someday, visit Provincetown,
nestled in the crook of Cape Cod’s tip,
at earth’s end and life’s beginning.

Savor the Watermark Inn
her quiet beach in early morn
ripples on sand and gulls overhead.

Long necked cormorants preen
then disappear, dive deep
to reappear fifty yards down shore.

Long Point lighthouse gleams white
stands tall across the waters,
stalwart to all who sail these seas.

Summer sunrise etches pink ripples
on softly lapping waves
and cotton candy clouds.

September sun melts orange red yellow
mirrors foliage on the town side
of fall quiet Commercial Street.

Come see this place my friend,
and serenity will visit your soul.

Call of the sea

This poem motivated by a prompt in my September Poetry Challenge Class:  Read Postscript by Seamus Heaney…..think about a time you traveled through a landscape that stopped your heart…do take interest in all elements of this poem (Postscripts): place names, references to season, landscape details etc…..he uses the second person “you” in his poem.

IMG_8813

8 thoughts on “Provincetown

1. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack September 15, 2015 / 10:35 pm

You had me “at earth’s end and life’s beginning.” I must get back. What a gorgeous line – as breathtaking as the place.
    Scenic stanzas perfectly paced to the wind and the sand…
    I know you are enjoying, my friend – rest, relax and continue to find the gorgeous peace nature offers freely but so many are unwilling to “pay” the toll – the toll is time away from their busy lives

• lillian September 16, 2015 / 10:56 am

Happy to read your words this Cape Cod beautiful morning. It is indeed an amazing place – and really, the elbow shape. The Watermark Inn where we stay is right on the inside of Ptowns bend, so our deck, on the water, looks out to the very tip 🙂 Our 15th year renting here.
      Yes – that old saying…take time to smell the roses, right? Tis easier in your rejuvenatement 🙂 and oh so joyful. Thankful for every day.

2. JoHanna Massey September 16, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Been years since I have been to PTown. Lovely photos and commentary. Thank you for sharing.

3. Holly Wren September 16, 2015 / 4:13 pm

I feel the influence of Heaney in this poem, but you make it all your own. I think I visited P-town for the first at this time of year, so your words bring me back, and make me long to return.

Do you know the little used bookshop on Commercial Street? I don’t know what it’s called, but it’s tucked back from the street, very quiet, and the poetry selection is better than most used book stores. I bought three titles when I was there in July.

• lillian September 16, 2015 / 8:14 pm

Yes — this was taking your prompt from the Heaney poem….thought I had that in comments at end. Somehow deleted? Will edit tonight.

After your comment here we looked up used bookstore in Ptown and found Tim’s Used Book Store at 242 Commercial — tucked way back off the street. He’s been there 24 years!

• Holly Wren October 13, 2015 / 7:20 pm

I think it’s a sweet refuge for book lovers. 24 years! He does seem like an original denizen–not one of the flashy ones, but someone who is there supporting the culture in a quiet way.