Shadow Me

Motivator for my Shadow poem

We walk, you in front of me
one created flesh and bone
the other born of sun
elongated faceless gray.

Seamlessly
we stroll the beach
arms out wide, now close in
darkness plays with light.

I stop you stop
your head turns as mine.
We follow a gull’s flight
rising from the sea.

If I turn, reverse my course
will you dance behind,
like the kite that zigs and zags
when its master loosens hold?

Revised, revisited from a very early post. How I love Cape Cod and playing with my shadow!

13 thoughts on “Shadow Me

1. JoHanna Massey August 23, 2015 / 8:09 pm

I love shadow play with a camera. I recall how when I was very young with my first Kodak Instamatic Camera that I was constantly reminded to not get my shadow in the photo.

Lovely poem.

• lillian August 23, 2015 / 11:44 pm

…reading your comment while in Alaska! So glad you liked this poem and that it called back memories!

• lillian August 23, 2015 / 11:47 pm

I am always so proud, humbled etc to get a reply from you Leslie! You are such a talented artist and truly have a passion for detail. So many many thanks for these kind words — from Juneau, Alaska! :). Just back from hiking into the Tsongas Forest to see the Nendenhall Glacier! Incredible!!

• Killing Jar Studio August 23, 2015 / 11:50 pm

Thank you, Lillian! Such a kind thing to say.
        Love the updates!! Glad to hear that you are having a great time!

• lillian August 23, 2015 / 11:50 pm

So glad you liked it! Responding from Juneau, Alaska 🙂 sipping my espresso/couvassier/whip cream drink, warming up after our hike in the Forest to see the Mendenhall Glacier! Quite different from this photo in Provincetown, Cape Cod last September!

2. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack August 24, 2015 / 11:12 am

Morning, my traveling compadre 🙂
    I often tell my little art students that things live in shadows. Shadows are more than what we see. And as the sun lowers, they become a tad more fearsome in their ‘longness’ and darkness. I’d use your perfectly painted words here as a way of teaching young minds about shadows and their attachments to us.
    Lovely.
    Here’s to gorgeous Monday skies:)

• lillian August 24, 2015 / 2:15 pm

So nice to read this in Skagway, Alaska! I think you must be a wonderful teacher!
      Glad you liked this one :).
      Today is our “strenuous” shore excursion. We take a train ride on the White Pass Railroad and then a 7 mile hike to Laughton Glacier. Should be a wonderful!
      Tomorrow will post a piece and photos of the glaciers we’ve seen. Quite different from my shadow pic on the beach in Cape Cod. Both inspiring in their own way!
      Coffee time!!!

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack August 24, 2015 / 2:46 pm

Short excursions that work both mind and body are the best kind – they leave room for relaxation and guilt-free libations later on 😉
        Sounds like you guys are having a fabulous time taking in the gorgeous sites up yonder or would that be over and above 🙂

• lillian August 26, 2015 / 5:34 pm

A fabulous trip! Legs a bit sore on the dance floor last night! 🙂

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack August 26, 2015 / 9:46 pm

Lillian, you have an optimistic ‘positivity’ that would make any venture you embark upon fabulous! Glad you danced, as all happy people should!!!