Alaska: First Glance

photo-2

She wears mist like a silk scarf
draped round her foothills,
wisps of white cloud
wrap round her girth,
this Alaskan mountain.

Her legion of honor stand nearby
black spruce, short in stature
strong willed in spirit,
cling to permafrost tundra,
their tenacity and her beauty
reflected in cold still waters.

photo 2      photo 3  Photos taken from our dome topped train ride from Anchorage to Talkeetna, Alaska yesterday.

17 thoughts on “Alaska: First Glance

1. oneta hayes August 19, 2015 / 2:16 am

lillian, I love your poems – sublime metaphors touching my emotions with vocabulary that makes me think and proves to me that it is worth the thinking.

• lillian August 19, 2015 / 12:30 pm

Thank you so very much for your kind kind words. It is 4:15 AM in Denali National Park and we are getting ready for an all day tour (boards at 5:25 AM and returns about 7 PM) with a park naturalist. It will take us all the way to the end of the one and only road into Denali — a dirt road after the first 4 miles. My hope is to see wild life as well as beautiful scenery. This is an absolutely incredible place, Alaska. It strikes my soul and words cannot do it justice. So happy to have you along for the journey!

• lillian August 19, 2015 / 12:31 pm

You must do this trip! The land portion has been quite amazing. So looking forward to our all day tour (on a school bus!) through Denali National Park today!
      Glad you liked the poem — the ride was incredible!

2. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack August 19, 2015 / 10:02 am

Beyond exquisite are both words and images here, Lillian. I can’t imagine the word rapture one must experience when connecting with such pristine and heavenly surroundings.
    Here’s to continued happy traveling, my friend 🙂

• lillian August 19, 2015 / 12:38 pm

So glad you liked the poem. It is truly a once in a lifetime trip. So looking forward to our all day tour of Denali National Park today — it is about 4:30 AM here and we will be picked up at 5:25 AM — return about 7 PM. It is estimated to be a 12 hour round trip experience….with a park naturalist. Only down-side is it is on a school bus type vehicle — owned by the National Park and the only vehicles allowed in past the 4 mile mark. Some do tours for 4 hours round trip; others for 8 hours round trip. Obviously those don’t go to the literal end of the road. Ours is the Kantishna Experience — you can Google it. And it will take us to the very end of the road. They say the further in you go, the more likelihood of seeing wildlife. Hoping for that — but the scenery alone will be spectacular.

Did I tell you we had reindeer sausage in Anchorage? It was not the “red light special” and was actually quite delicious!

Internet connections, as you can imagine, are very very slow — if at all here. Sadly, I tried to write a response on Reader to one of your latest poems and got locked out. Apologies my friend….will promise to catch up when I can. Of course, once we board the ship on Friday, there are zero connections at sea…..unless one wants to pay $$$$.

Other poems pre-scheduled….hope to do more with Alaska but we shall see. Quiet moments last night were spent on our little “porch”, staring at the rushing river behind the lodge, with a glass of red wine in hand. 🙂

3. Ana Linden August 19, 2015 / 12:15 pm

Judging by these photos, you might just find the inspiration you were hoping for 🙂
    Amazing scenery to go with your beautiful poem!

• lillian August 19, 2015 / 12:39 pm

Scenery is amazing! Looking forward to Denali National Park today! So glad you liked the poem…..Alaska is an amazing muse 🙂

4. deepcallstodeep15roc August 19, 2015 / 6:41 pm

Lillian, I really like the image of the silk scarf. Nicely rendered!
    I took the bus tour four years ago and loved it, except for the school bus (!)
    Then three years ago I took the fly-around Denali. What grandeur & majesty!!!
    Thanks for putting wonderful words on your experience! –roc,sj

• lillian August 20, 2015 / 3:01 am

Glad you like the poem and the silk scarf image. Just back from the 12 hour bus ride, all the way to the end of the road in Denali. Fabulous! The school bus was not bad. Comfortable seats and we stopped every hour and a half. Although we did not see Mt Mckinley (Denali) for the clouds, it was still truly awesome. And the wildlife — wow! Caribou with HUGE antler racks, moose (cows with their baby), grizzlies up close, birds…just absolutely amazing and a once in a life-time experience.
      Not brave enough to do the flying tours — maybe another year.
      So glad you liked this!

5. Killing Jar Studio August 19, 2015 / 11:49 pm

Hi Lillian-
    Such a lovely description! Though your photos are beautiful and fit perfectly in this post you still managed to stir my imagination causing me to envision it in my minds eye.

• lillian August 20, 2015 / 3:03 am

So good to read your comment here.
      The poetry must stand by itself …. but I am motivated by the photo and love posting the pics too.
      So glad the words stirred your imagination and you were able to envision the poem in your minds eye. Many thanks for your response!!

6. Next Step to Nirvana August 20, 2015 / 4:02 pm

Beautiful and transporting. I was in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and I so wished I could have just jumped on a cruise ship to Alaska. Enjoy. Looking forward to both visual and verbal poetry!

• lillian August 21, 2015 / 3:18 pm

Thanks so much! Transporting — wonderful word for what this place does to one’s spirit. Glad you’re coming along for the ride!