Even Song

green tent

Plop
Patter
Ping
Slow steady nocturnal rain
taps on the yellow-green ceiling
of my ancient canvas tent.
Comfort seeps in as I burrow deep
in my cocoon zippered bag,
crisp cold nose, just outside the seam.
Lids shutter slowly as ears perk to listen.
Thoughts float in a cool haze.
A hooting owl sits sheltered
by spring’s green-yellow canopy.
The drip, drop, patter
plops above its feathered head.
Dreaming now,
a moon sliver guides me
to a sleep moment of clarity.
These rain notes are nature’s evensong.
A prayer
for all who sleep in this forested place.

rain-233545_1280

Revised from one of my very first poems written in February, in my first class with Holly Wren Spaulding. Posted so early in March (as Rain Song) , I doubt but five people saw it!
UPDATE:  I am in Alaska, as you read this! Will be posting every other day for two weeks until I return.  Mostly new — poems that is — although I will be rejuvenated (love that word!) even more upon my return to Boston, our city by the sea.

11 thoughts on “Even Song

1. oneta hayes August 16, 2015 / 3:28 am

This hits the spot! I loved you yellow-green ceiling and you green-yellow canopy. Very picturesque.

• lillian August 16, 2015 / 3:34 am

So glad you like it. Smiling I am!

• lillian August 16, 2015 / 5:24 pm

Thanks for tuning in…..I have always loved the sound of the rain on our tents….this one was not so kind to its dwellers in the rain. The old canvas had pores that would seep if you touched it — tough to avoid when our kids were 2 and 4! Fun memories….

2. Killing Jar Studio August 16, 2015 / 4:55 pm

I’m right there with ya!! (hope you don’t mind the company)
    I feel the cool, I smell the rain I hear the hoot…….
    Have a great time in Alaska!!

• lillian August 16, 2015 / 5:25 pm

The old canvas tent from our way earlier years. Raindrops sounded so good on that tent — just beware touching the sides or it would seep rain! Those were the good ole days — happy to bring you along! 🙂

3. AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack August 17, 2015 / 9:35 am

I would imagine carrying a book of your poems, Lillian – like one would take Ralph Waldo Emerson into the woods.
    Here one would use ye old Girl Scout tin cup for sipping their morning brew 🙂

• lillian August 17, 2015 / 1:15 pm

Ah…..such very nice words here…yep, we did indeed have the obligatory tin cook set in the days of our first tent! 🙂

• AnnMarie Roselli-Kissack August 17, 2015 / 8:48 pm

🙂
        We long ago made bunsen burners in Girl Scouts – they were fashioned with tuna cans, corrugated cardboard and wax. It was such a sense of accomplishment to be cooking on something we’d made by hand 🙂
        Hope your journey is spectacular!