Forever

Sometimes, things happen in life that truly truly make you thankful for every day. I’ve been 46 + years now with the love of my life — and we are grateful for every day in this “rejuvenatement” period of our lives  (see my About for an explanation of the term). This poem was motivated by a poetry class assignment:  look very very closely at things around you and write about something you want to save from oblivion.  The mind jumps around and makes various connections, the pen writes, scratches out, and writes again…and this is the result.

Forever

Two gulls skitter about the shore’s edge
leaving track upon track, their dance notation.
Voices sound cacophonous shrills
wings flap, contract, and flap again.

IMG_4004Two children skip, swinging hand in hand
suddenly unjoin. Side by side, in unison
arms wide, they leap and jump
like gulls ahead who splash, lift and soar.

Waves rollick and return, out and always in.
Sea, animals, and children seen in twos
assault my oneness, so recently assumed
etched into being, sears and spills my tears.

Hands rest upon this familiar rail
seek coolness from the seasons’ heat
instead, send chills from hand to heart
my body, an eclipse of the sun.

Let go the rail. Come stand with me, my love
your life, not death, forever.

9 thoughts on “Forever

1. OldenGray May 11, 2015 / 1:02 am

What a wonderful set of results. The third stanza, my favorite, as it opens the eyes to the inevitable. Beautifully penned!

• lillian May 11, 2015 / 12:02 pm

Thanks Olden. Always appreciate your words…..This one was close to my heart!

2. mincs1 May 11, 2015 / 1:54 am

This is really beautiful, poignant. I especially like your final stanza – a celebration of life! 🙂

• lillian May 11, 2015 / 2:22 am

Thank you so much for your kind comment. Yes – we have learned to celebrate life every day!

3. BarbaraK aka fiddlbarb May 12, 2015 / 1:17 am

This was the first piece of yours that I read — and found a connection right away. So I have come back to read your “About” section and really do connect and will be catching up with the pieces you have posted.

• lillian May 12, 2015 / 12:25 pm

Thanks Barbarak! Glad you meandered about…..if you’re still in the vicinity, I think two of my favorites are Scattered Dreams and Meander. I remember when I first snapped the picture used in Shadow of Mine — a few years before I came to writing poetry — which just started in February. So glad to have you with me on my journey!
      lillian

• BarbaraK aka fiddlbarb May 12, 2015 / 1:43 pm

My pleasure indeed. I love your site. Today I’ll be back to read more. I’m delighted. ~Barb

4. nailpolishlover June 10, 2015 / 2:20 pm

O my this brought tears to my eyes…I love it very much I will be back to read more great work

• lillian June 10, 2015 / 3:18 pm

So nice to meet you this sunny morning! So glad you like the poem. Please do stop by and meander a bit more. Shall meander over to your place tonight, over my glass of wine.
      🙂 Have a wonderful day!